Monday, October 13, 2008

Longhorn 70.3 Race Update


Well...I was pretty stressed out about a week and a half before the race. On Tuesday, it all of a sudden hit me that i was no longer stressed and just excited. As I am sure most of you know my birthday was on Saturday, so i got up early, drove to my mom's to get her and got me present. (I got cool new clothes :)) Then she and I headed to Austin. We had lunch at the brick oven and then headed to packet pick up. It was FULL of people, but organized and it moved along pretty quickly. I think next year, it should be moved to a bigger venue. Then we stuck around for the race meeting, at which point i almost freaked out when i thought i was going to have to have my torso covered for the entire run!!! (i asked and they said it was ok to wear a sports bra...PHEW!). After the meeting we headed over for bike drop off at the park. It was DUSTY! i let the air out of my tires so that they wouldnt pop while they tanned out there. Everything was nice and ready to go!!! Mom and I headed to the hotel to check in and ran into Lisa and Eric who were going to sneak a present into the room...i got an awesome 70.3 mug (which is now sitting right next to the very computer at which i am typing on. I had my coffee in it this morning and my afternoon tea later today). We watched tv for a while and then headed to the restaurant for dinner with the group. It was a huge group of us and we sat outside, the evening was PERFECT for it. We all chattted about the race and our goals and stuff. You know, its all we could talk about.

Race Morning
I woke up and had to think about why i was getting up so early. I quickly remembered. But i did have a sore throat. Shake it off. I took a wuick shower, braided my hair, debated about which tri top to wear and left by 510. We were waiting in the line to get into the parking lot by 527. Dont know what time we actually made it in there, but i was MAJORLY stressing about getting to the race site. Once we actually parked, then we had to wait in the line to get on a bus to get to the race site. that took FOREVER. I think we finally got to teh race site at 645. talk about being stressed. i was totaly fine after i got transition and everything set up. As it turns out the parking situation is what caused the race to be delayed about 20 minutes. The only other complaint i had besides the parking and busing situation was that there wasnt enough lighting in transition. Other than that ...Awesome.

The Swim
so i am walking over to the swim start to get in and warm up, and low and behold, my hot pink 25-29 swim cap rips!!!!!!!!!! dont worry, i was a hot pink cap at river cities, so it was ok. i had a back up. I warmed up and then froze a little when waiting. I was wave six. watched everyone go and then it was my turn to get in the water. (in the water start). we had three minutes between waves, i got my watch all situated and i just kept telling myself not to get caught up in the start and to just stay relaxed for the swim. which i did. I felt great in the water, except for this one chick that kept rubbing on me. she litterally was attached to me and i have the wounds to show it, she took a chunk out of my arm with her fingernail (which i didnt realize happened until the run...more on this later). After the last turn for home, there was this disturbing tapping on my feet. i figured it was one of these eager beavers trying to draft from me on the swim. i was so pissed that i kept kicking harder that way she/he would stop. at one point i was about to stop, pop the individual, and then keep going. But i didnt. i just kicked harder. they disappeared. i finished my swim in an amazing time of 25 something. WOW! i had beaten my goal by 5 minutes! (the swim was short).

T1
Run to the bike (G section) there is dirt all over my feet. and i didnt bring a squirt bottle to clean that. so...i just wiped my feet as best i could with my towel. on to the bike...as i cross the bike out...I see a bike pedal on teh ground and think to myself "poor soul who lost their pedal, i dont know what i would do".... (refer to Brian Cook's story). On to teh bike.

The Bike
I'll keep this section short. I dont want to bore you guys with 56 miles worth of my thoughts. But most of it was oh yea, been here before, ok. watch the grooves on teh ground, and wow there are so many freaking people, i hope i dont get penalized for the 4 bike distance. I did end up walking up the very hard hill at like mile 4. i was switching gears and i swear it sounded like i broke the freakin crank. i got off and ran up the hill. no big deal, i shook it off and went on my merry way. i saw sexy lisa on the bike course. there were some hard sharp turns but felt pretty good. my calf started cramping around mile 35 or so, but i kept stretching it on the downhills. Oh according to my bike computer, at some point i hit 39 mph! Eat your heart out Lance! :) I felt great on teh bike and when i realized that i was very close to my original goal of 3 hours, i was super pumped. I had adjusted my bike goal after i went to austin to practice to 315. I ended up coming in at 305. the last two hills, were BRUTAL. Thanks Keith. I saw simon lessing finishing up as i was on one of those hills and i remember thinking, wow, he is done and i still have the entire run to go!

T2
off the bike, bike on rack, helmet off, sunglasses off, shoes on, water bottle, go. crap, my rumber broke and is now hanging by one hole on the race belt. quickly fix that by poking a hole. ok good go. The winner just won.

The run
who in god's green earth decided to grow hills in texas. shoot em. i never found my pace. my 2 mile run, 30 second walk went out the door before the first mile was even over. new plan. walk the uphills, run the rest. the first loop was very difficult and hot. remember the hole that was created on my swim by someones nail, this is when i realized i had it. i thought oh i need new arrowbar pads, yea dont know why i thought that, the scratch is on the bottom of my tricept. i must have been loosing it. at mile 4 i saw my mom who was taking pics. ! yea!!! i saw several peopel on teh loops and cheered and high fived and hugged. i thought for sure by this point that 6 hours was out of the question, when i started to do teh math, i guess this part of the brain wasnt gone yet, it turns out that i could make it. the second loop felt much better than the first, but i continued to walk the uphills. PS. there is this massive hill that i dont wish upon anyone. it hurt to walk up it. enough said. as i went up it the second time, i kept calculating...ok when i get to the top, ill be at mile 12 and that means only 1.1 miles to go after that and i have 15 minutes. ok doable. i got my butt in gear and finished it off....i got tears in my eyes as i came down the shoot, but you better believe there was a smile on my face. the announcer said look at that smile and here she comes Agustina Foglietta from Houston. (not you are an ironman, that comes next year) but i did hear one woman say yea 791, you are an ironman, i thought, not yet, but i am halfway there!!!!

Finish

1 comment:

June said...

We are Half Ironwomen!